The church of San Jerónimo was firstly planned as a hermitage. According to Pablo Macera’s investigations, this place housed a great part of the indigenous nobility that wanted to proof its power and prestige through the construction of this magnificent temple.
According to Wethey, its architecture still keeps some features of the XVI century. The façade, for instance, is of a Renaissance style. It is composed by three arches and a balcony located in the upper part. The bell gable, which gives the temple a greater size, is also remarkable.
Inside the church
The main devotion is Saint Jerónimo. The church is decorated with mural painting and it has been terribly maintained. The best paintings, which are also the oldest ones, are located on the main arch. One of the treasures of this church is constituted by its seven splendid baroque altars.
Masses are carried out everyday between 5 and 8 in the morning, and every Thursday at 6:30 in the afternoon people worship the Holy Sacrament. This celebration finishes with a mass
hurch �@i �/���uted to the indigenous master Melchor Guamán Maita, artificer of the fabulous San Sebastián carving located in the church with the same name. This San Cristóbal goes through the streets and squares during the Corpus procession.
ruvia�wat�/���e port of San Miguel in Piura. According to the legend, the Virgin carried a note in which she requested to be taken to Cusco. In the cathedral there is a painting that represents this story..
The parish church was devoted to the recollection of half-caste women. It was one of the oldest parish churches of the city and also one of the largest and luxurious feminine-order churches of Cusco. It was constructed in 1550, but was totally devastated by the earthquake of 1650. The reconstruction works of this church and San Pedro church were carried out at the same time. This church was also managed by the Bishop Mollinedo and his nephew. Their coats are located above the entrance doors and also on the altar’s frontal. The lateral walls show two large canvases in where we can appreciate the Bishop as a donor in two stages of his life.
Inside the church
The floor’s layout comprises a single aisle with seven bays and an elevated choir. There are beautiful baroque altarpieces on both sides. The main altar is probably the most spectacular structure, with its silver frontal and the image of the Virgin decorated and covered with jewels. On the lateral niches we can appreciate the images of different Franciscan saints.
One of the most remarkable paintings, located in the presbytery, represents the apparition of the Virgin with the Child to Saint Joseph. At one side appears the donor, identified by Humberto Vidal as the priest Martín Irure, secretary of the Bishop Mollinedo. The following canvases, located on the Gospel wall, are also outstanding: “La Anunciación” (“The Annunciation”), “El Nacimiento” (“The Birth”), “La Circuncisión” (“The Circumcision”), “La Huida a Egipto” (“The Scape to Egipt”) and “El Niño en Medio de los Doctores” (“Little Jesus in the middle of Wise Men”).
The celebration for the Virgin of Belen
It is held on February 6th. During the whole night the devotees approach to her to pray and tell her their requests. For that occasion, the image is dressed with its best clothes. The general lights are turned off and the Virgin is just lightened up by the soft light from the candles. Meanwhile, outside, in the square, the food and drinks come and go since there are numerous requests and the night is long.