In order to get to San Cristóbal it is also advisable to take a taxi or to walk from the Main Square, go through Plateros street and continue through Sapri and then through the Amargura slope. We can also walk through the Almirante slope, continue through Suecia street and finally through Uriel García.
The church had been erected on the Colcampata hill, an old cultivation terrace that houses a set of Incan niches with fine finishes. It is a modest construction made of adobe and stone. According to the researches of H. Vidal, the work was made due to the initiative of Cristóbal Paullo, member of the Incan nobility and owner of the Colcampata lands. The first church dates of 1560. The subsequent construction of the XVII century was sponsored by the Bishop Mollinedo, whose coat is positioned over the lintel of the belfry’s entrance door.
Inside the Church
It a Latin-cross floor with a single aisle. Among its riches, we can find the silver frontal of the main altar, which also has the Mollinedo coat of arms. By the way, the pulpit was a gift from the Bishop.
San Cristóbal, patron of Cusco
It is the most significant image of the church and it is attributed to the indigenous master Melchor Guamán Maita, artificer of the fabulous San Sebastián carving located in the church with the same name. This San Cristóbal goes through the streets and squares during the Corpus procession.